Sep 12, 2009

Globalisation? Turn left here....


There’s a great place on earth called Samoa. It's a group of islands that lie around half way between New Zealand and Hawaii, not to be confused with American Samoa which lies to the east of “Samoa”. Formerly Western Samoa, it has a population of about 177,000 people on four Islands, which most of us would absolutely love to visit if not indeed move to.

Samoa came to my attention in the news this past week because of two things. First Samoa was in my area of responsibility when I was Manager, South Pacific for a large U.S. company. I feel good when I’m able to write that down, but enough of living in the past. The second reason is that this week I bought my wife a new, well, that is to say used new car.

The two will be forever linked together in my mind, weak as it is. You see, Samoans, a wonderful people and I, in my own way wonderful, will have to get used to driving arse about.

This leads us to that word, Globalisation, in this case meaning the move toward standardised product production for sale globally. In Samoa, the need for importation of low cost, and in some cases used cars from New Zealand, Australia and even Japan has resulted in a switch from driving on the right hand side of the road to the left hand side, as most countries in the region do. A two day holiday was declared so residents could get familiar with the change. I saw video of the changeover day; it looked like fun for all concerned, in spite of the fact that a great number of Samoans didn’t want a change. The bus companies aren't happy, having to move the doors from the right side of the buses to the left; they have a problem with passengers getting off, exiting that is, in the middle of the road.

This falling in line with regional standards meets the needs of globalised production, at least on a regional basis as a first step. You can’t have the tail wagging the dog as it were. But, what about me?

You see my wife's new/used car was a victim of globalisation.  It's a Ford; they have factories all over the world.  Ford management must decide which factory makes which parts for each model, it just happens that my model, planned for the global market, was to be made in Belgium.  Economies of scale now take effect, wherever possible each component is designed to meet the needs of the greatest number of markets.

Fine, BUT WHAT ABOUT ME?

My needs are few these days, just a little food and sleep, some time to enjoy the sights and sounds of spring arriving, and as little aggravation as God is willing to allow.  BUT WHAT ABOUT ME?

I’m too old to learn, much less remember that the turn signal control is now on the left side of my wife’s steering column not the right as it’s always been in MY cars. In her car, when I signal to turn, the windscreen wipers start. I just don’t understand it, aren’t I the consumer? Shouldn’t I get what I want? Don’t get me started on clockwise vs. anticlockwise for window winding, God help me when it starts raining. Stuff it! People will just have to watch my wipers to see which way I’m going.

It's just like those recorded menus for phone service, press 1 for this 2 for that...  no one listens anymore...
Samoa.............................I've always wanted Samoa... 

JAWhite

Photo: Courtesy Auro Queiroz,                       Return to Main Page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do read and appreciate comments, I can’t always reply to each but please leave one.
JAWhite