Nov 26, 2009

House Husbandry

A Guide for the Efficient Man
Having recently retired from Business life, I’ve become one of those men who see the little woman off each morning. She goes to work; I prepare for the days duties as house husband. I’m not in the least embarrassed by my circumstance; on the contrary, I look upon my current “job” as just that, work which I’m fully equipped to excel at. Having been told of the volume and difficulty of house work for years, I was fully prepared to face each day’s tasks as I would any challenge.


I’ve previously explained my position on time management, and approached my new responsibilities with that mindset. A good manager will always develop efficient procedures and implementation processes in the work place. The procedure is the key. In this case it was simple, identify the need, and develop a process for fulfilment, implementation and follow-up.

Having gained experience in building businesses from the ground up, I was fully aware that many times, well intentioned managers try to re-invent the wheel as it were. Housework has been around long enough for some efficiency to have been established. I knew of course that I could bring new ways of looking at the job which would improve those efficiencies. The first step is to establish the needs which took no time at all. The kitchen was in need of some attention, the bedrooms and baths seemed to have somewhat different problems, halls, windows, floors. Having learned early in life that a list is imperative for efficiency, I wrote them all down. Mastering those things on my list would need to be achieved one step at a time.

Research was required to confirm existing methods of accomplishing the objectives. I was able to locate a volume of procedures, from a usually reliable source, which had been written to instruct young people in exactly the tasks I was investigating. Although I would certainly know more about it than an inexperienced young person, reading basic information would be a starting point. “Little Lessons for Little Housekeepers” written by one Emily Huntington of New York. The information supplied by the editor in the preface indicated that Miss Huntington was an expert in these matters; in fact he alludes to further writing by Miss Huntington relating to sewing, politeness and something called “Little Nursery Maids”. I could not see a need for the additional skills so restricted myself the housekeeping research.

On turning pages to locate the contents I noticed how inexpensive books were in the 1870s, several mentioned by the editor were under $2.00. I was pleased to see that the Little Housekeeper sold for $5.00, an expensive author is usually a good one, at least until the post Christmas clearances start. My copy originated from the United States Library of Congress. Whom was it that said, “neither a borrower nor a lender be...”?

Miss Huntington uses a system in her teaching; her lessons are in question and answer form. My system of teaching might differ to hers; nevertheless any system is better than none, example. It was only yesterday I watched a BBC documentary about Windsor Castle. As part of the proceedings leading to the State Visit by the President of France, the castle staffs were reminded in detail of the procedures they were to follow in ensuring all went as the Queen expected. I must send a note to the Queens Housekeeper; I noticed one step in the packing of the Queens luggage which could do with some examination.

Miss Huntington’s Rules for Housekeeping; she first addresses the washing of dishes. What is the first thing little children should learn about housekeeping?

Answer: To wash dishes.

What three things are necessary in order to wash dishes properly? Answer: Well-scraped dishes, hot suds, and proper towels.
 
Don’t forget she is addressing “little children” should you be taking notes you might use bullet form notation.
 
How do you collect dishes?

Answer: Collect the silver in a pitcher of hot water, throw the cold water from the glasses, rinse the cups, and scrape each plate separately, and place in a pile.

How do you make hot suds?

Answer: Put a piece of soap on a fork, and stir it briskly in the water.          Photo Courtesy: Petria Follett    


What are proper towels?

Answer: Clean, dry towels. We must use the fine towels for the glasses and silver; the course towels for the plates and other dishes.

In what order do you wash dishes?

Answer: First the glasses, then the silver, the pitchers, cups, saucers, plates, and other dishes.

How should we rinse dishes?

Answer: In clear, hot water.

Miss Huntington is an expert and apparently it’s been done this way for over a hundred years.

She now addresses the Dining Room, Care of the Dining-Room: When is a dining-room in perfect order?
Answer: When it is well swept and dusted, the furniture in its place, and the blinds closed.

I didn’t even think about the blinds. Miss Huntington seems to be thorough, procedures should be exact leaving no room for error.  Oh my God, the next page has diagrams. I might go have a nap now; this job could be a little more complicated than I thought.
 
JAWhite
November 2009                     Read another Househusband story?

Source:
Little Lessons for little Housekeepers, Huntington, Emily. Publisher: A.D.F. Randolph and company, New York 1879.  This and other books may be viewed at The Internet Archive. Terms and Copyright applicable may be read at: http://www.archive.org/about/terms.php

For More on Emily Huntington

                                                           Return To Main Page

4 comments:

  1. Excellent John! I now know why I'm in hot water all the time... Now then, soap on a fork and time for a bath...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with rinsing dishes in clear, hot water.

    My grandmother was a lunchroom cook and she rinsed her dishes is clear, extremely hot water. If you were washing up under her supervision, it was so hot tongs were needed to remove the dishes from the water!. Also her preferred container for the rinsing water was an old, tinned ham tin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally had time to catch up on your stories. Love reading them and look forward to many more...

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a house husband myself and, as I have a really short attention span, there has been some friction with my lovely wife over the dishes. I am great at doing -half- of the clean up, now I am mastering the art of finishing things. Lists help a lot...

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate comments, I can’t always reply to each but please leave one.
JAWhite